Acquired by Accolade
HealthReveal is a clinical AI company focused on providing personalized, data-driven recommendations to improve patients’ lives and well-being. Driven by their passion for medical innovation, they create technology that simplifies and guides the clinical decision-making process. Remedy Product Studio built a highly dynamic and fruitful business relationship with the HealthReveal team. We joined forces to craft a next-gen healthcare solution for AI data analysis and management.
The Reveals Access and NLP Review applications are designed to improve outcomes and quality of life for patients with chronic disease. Based on machine learning features, Reveals Access helps organize and manage personalized, actionable care recommendations (“Reveals”) based on each patient’s clinical profile, including patient-generated healthcare data gathered by home and remote monitors, wearables, and implantable devices. Medical AI processes this data, creating a digital avatar of each patient and generating Reveals. Backed by AI data analysis, Reveals help predict individual patient health risks and disease progression and intervene with guideline-directed recommendations. Clinicians use Reveals to deliver personalized treatment interventions that mitigate risks, improve care quality, and reduce costs.
- HealthReveal had strong processes in place and a solid technology foundation by the time they engaged Remedy Product Studio. With an ambitious product roadmap and elevated technical requirements, HealthReveal brought in Remedy to stand up a dedicated squad and scale product delivery.
- HealthReveal needed a multi-faceted solution with tight security protocols to tackle privacy issues early on, as well as to introduce new functionality changes along the way:
- Enable faster implementation across a variety of hospital clients.
- Get insights into user experience and understand what drives clinician behaviors.
- Increase the flexibility of how HealthReveal insights are delivered across intervention and analytic products.
- The HealthReveal team was searching for a reliable technical partner to aid their internal experts in creating and supporting a stable, user-friendly product.
- They engaged us back in 2020, looking for help with their clinical rules engine and clinician-facing web platform. They needed someone who could quickly ramp up alongside the internal team, deliver product expertise, and work autonomously with no hand-holding.
- We started by defining requirements and conducting product research to understand possible pitfalls and define further steps. During our first calls, the HealthReveal team provided additional project documentation and shared their vision of the final product to align all the essential details.
- A key HealthReveal requirement was that the system be flexible and future-proof. We had to ensure the product supported both current clients and emerging commercial opportunities for a faster initial implementation and lighter weight integration.
- We leveraged agile development practices to enable iterative changes and ensure easier testing and debugging. We held weekly workshops and biweekly sprint reviews with the HealthReveal team to stay on the same page and show progress.
- After product roadmapping and feature scoping, we moved on to building a fully functioning MVP of the Reveals Access application from scratch to validate the product idea and attract early adopters.
- The decision was made to use React for the frontend and Node.js for the backend. The MVP development took only 3 months to complete and included the delivery of additional functionality beyond the original scope.
- The platform was designed for the following initial use cases at launch for a clinical trial:
- The site coordinator at each trial location can access the web Reveals for their practice population and drill into the individual patient. The web portal helps them ensure the clinical team remains on the same page for the clinical needs of each patient.
- Clinical teams can directly engage with the web portal and download printed/pdf materials from the web portal. Reveal Access Portal helps clinicians understand each patient's pharmacotherapy needs for starting therapy, intensifying therapy, stopping therapy, maintaining therapy, or having a contraindication to therapy.
- Healthcare providers or care teams can leverage AI-driven reports to reach out to patients or their doctors to bring them in to discuss/administer the indicated service. Services can range from simple labs to cardiovascular procedures.
- Physicians can have a more impactful 15-minute interaction with their patients.
- It’s always a daunting task to develop such a complex product that is based on medical AI and machine learning features. Our team applied sophisticated approaches to tackle the issues we came up against.
- The HealthReveal team needed specific user permissions and authentication for all Reveals Access use cases. It was vital to ensure that user authentication and authorization could comply with US HIPAA and HiTech laws and pass HRv’s SOC 2 audit requirements.
- It was decided to integrate Auth0, to manage user registration, password maintenance, and roles. The service is constantly developing and sometimes lacks relevant and exhaustive documentation for specific blocks that we could resort to. Remedy Product Studio set up a transparent development process that allowed us to find a workaround within a tight schedule and implement new features.
- We employed Terraform to enable a smooth rollout of Auth0 configuration across multiple environments, exclude any asynchronous operations, and ensure that technical experts can safely and predictably deploy changes to infrastructure.
- Remedy designed and built the Auth Gateway that serves as a proxy and a single entry point between the network of internal HRv services (the Reveals Access and NLP Review applications) and a user agent. It isolates all Auth-related login into one place, allowing easy switching between different providers while maintaining a high security level.
- Remedy introduced UI Storybook for easy sharing of design components across multiple applications and environments.
- Remedy built from scratch two independent, resilient and scalable web applications, as well as updated documentation and improved code quality of existing codebase:
- Rock-solid security algorithms ensure all data is safe and remains confidential.
- Both services process up to 50k database records per request.
- Test coverage threshold for UI and backend is held up to 80%.
- The resulting solution features all the required functionality and provides all the necessary means for monitoring, and managing Patient Reveals:
- Quick and easy access to real-time patient data.
- Sophisticated search engine with multiple filters and matching items.
- Data-driven dashboards to monitor patient vitals, manage therapy, and submit feedback.
- In-depth reports with individual therapy recommendations.
- User-friendly interface to ensure enhanced user experience.
Backed by years of expertise in healthcare software development services, Remedy successfully mitigated numerous risks and fixed all the emerging issues. The HealthReveal team received an innovative medical AI tool for patients to manage Reveals and improve therapy outcomes. After the initial development phase, our squads merged with HealthReveal into a unified Delivery Platform Team. We are continuing to work together to improve the product and integrate new functionality enhancements. The subsequent growth of HealthReveal’s business resulted in the company’s acquisition by Accolade, Inc. Accolade is a publicly traded personalized advocacy and care company reinventing the healthcare experience. Remedy is excited to continue working with the Accolade team on improving the lives of patients.